Mental health is a topic that is very close to the hearts of many graduates from our Young Community Leaders (YCL) programme. This January, to start 2017 on a positive note, a group of YCL graduates will organise a series of mental health awareness events to promote positive mental health and wellbeing for all members of our community.
The Learning About Mental Health committee are active in the Coolock and Kilbarrack areas to emphasise the importance of lending a helping hand and creating a community where everyone feels respected, valued and supported, especially when they need it most.
Wednesday 18th January 2017 | 14:00 to 17:00 | Parnell’s GAA Club, Coolock Village
A community seminar where we heard from a variety of inspirational speakers on subjects related to mental health and wellbeing.
- Local youth Owen Murray: Living with bipolar disorder
- Freelance Catalyst Carol Conway: Embracing life with all its imperfections
- Principal Peter Keohane of the Donahies Community School: Mental health and education
- Michelle Waters on Dublin City Council Sports and Wellbeing Partnership: Getting active for a healthy mind
- NearFM: The role of community radio for positive mental health and wellbeing
- See Change representative Sorcha O’Neill: Reducing the stigma associated with Mental Health
- Plus “Volunteering for your wellbeing”: panel discussion hosted by Volunteer Ireland CEO Anna Gunning
- Suaimhneas Clubhouse: There is another way
- Local youth Shannon Whelan: How my dog saved my life!
- Special guests: Sphere17 Regional Youth Service proudly presents The Funky Chickens